Starting a Local Arhritis Support Network begins with a genuine desire to make a difference for people living with arthritis and rheumatic diseases in your community. Our Arthritis Support Network Leaders (ASN Leaders) are valuable national volunteers facilitating our local support groups across the United States. Our peer-led, local support groups bring people together for fun and informative events and activities. Our ASNs offer a place of understanding and encouragement for adults living with arthritis and their loved ones. Because our leaders are individuals living with arthritis we recommend having 2 leaders per group.
Leaders complete a self paced training program to provide new volunteers the skills to start and grow a support group in their community. Each ASN Leader is provided a toolkit to set them up for success.
Arthritis Support Network Leaders (ASN Leaders)
A Local Arthritis Support Network Leader is a volunteer representative of the Arthritis Foundation in their respective communities. The main function of the ASN Leader is to plan and coordinate group meetings for participants. The ASN Leader host at least 6 meetings or events per year. Meetings or events are educatonal and/or social in nature. Coordinating a minimum of at least 2 wellness education focused meetings per year is required and many groups have wellness topics at almost all meeetings.
Commitment: At least 2 years.
Time Commitment: 5 - 10 hours per month
- Plan, coordinate and facilitate fun and engaging group meetings and social activities and events
- Promote, market and maintain a group that is supportive and a safe place to share thoughts, feelings and experiences
- Adds events to the event calendar on this website
- Maintains a group mailing list through our Constituent Relationship Management software
- Reports on support group activities
- Communicates with the ASN Leadership Team, group participants, and prospective group participants
If you are interested in learning more about starting an Arthritis Support Network in your community, please complete our Online Application. Our Community Support Network Director will follow up with you to discuss the position and requirements in greater detail.